Pages

Monday, January 25, 2016

Anatomy of My Name

Anatomy? For words?

Much like the human body, words have anatomy too! Typography is used to show how words and letters are made up of different parts. Some fonts have parts that other fonts don't have, like Malayalam MN (the font in the image) doesn't have serifs, but Times New Roman does.

Meaning of fonts

The font you use also holds a lot of meaning. You can't write a serious Shakespearean esque poem and use Comic Sans. You need to chose a font that matches what you're writing. Fonts that are straight, have serifs, beaks, and rough edges are typically used for serious writings while rounded, spunky letters are usually used for more laid back writing.

This project

I was told to choose a font that I believed fit my first or last name. I thought Malayalam MN fit my last name rather well. Since my name is German, which is typically thought of as a strong, but not scary language, I figured I should use a font that was more serious, but didn't have things such as serifs or beaks.

Choose Wisely!

Your font choice needs to be thought out well when designing something. The font needs to match the feel and idea of what you're trying to advertise. If you were commissioned by someone to create a logo or advertisement, check with your employer to see what they're looking for. You don't want to hand them a logo that doesn't fit what they're trying to advertise.

No comments:

Post a Comment